-
December 20th, 2001, 06:00 PM
#11
Konton
Guest
Actually I did mean the Beaulieu 1028 XL60. But perhaps I'm confused. Look at the link to the 1008 you gave and read the title of the page: http://www.visualproducts.com/beaulieu.html
It says 1028 XL60
And then there is Beaulieu's website: http://www.aidanet.com/beaulieu/recond.html
It also shows 1028 XL60
Can anyone explain?
------------------
Konton the Grey
-
December 20th, 2001, 06:30 PM
#12
stanley k
Guest
Konton,
In fact, I have a 200 ft Kodachrome cartridge from 1997 that I've been meaning to use on my Elmo 1012. Maybe we can use it for the next OCHO LOCO-L.A. meeting.
SK
------------------
-
December 20th, 2001, 07:12 PM
#13
Konton
Guest
I'm all for using that 200 ft Kodachrome cartridge so long as you have an idea of something sound sync worth shooting. I don't want you wasting it. I used to have three of those, but I didn't have anything worth shooting with them so I sold them all. Let me know when you think is good for the next meeting.
So there are only 16 camera's in existance that can use the 200 ft cartridge?
Beaulieu 6008
Beaulieu 7008
Beaulieu 9008
Beaulieu 1028 XL60
Chinon Pacific 200/8XL
Chinon Pacific 200/12XL
Elmo 230S XL
Elmo 240S XL
Elmo 260S XL
Elmo 612S XL
Elmo 1012S XL
Kodak Supermatic 200
Nizo 6056
Nizo 6080
Sankyo XL 61-200
Sankyo XL 405
If that is true then it is no wonder they don't make them anymore. I had been speaking with Pedro about creating a new reloadable cartridge that didn't cost over $3000 or require modifying the camera. But if these are the only cameras that could use them then is it really worth it? I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.
------------------
Konton the Grey
-
December 20th, 2001, 08:04 PM
#14
Supa-eight
Guest
Most definetely worth it!
As Pedro I think mentioned before, most Super 8 cameras have no important components on the top of them where the 200ft cartridge would be sticking out. So grab your Saw-Zaws and modify your Super 8 camera today!
------------------
-
December 20th, 2001, 08:23 PM
#15
ulrichsd
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supa-eight:
Most definetely worth it!
As Pedro I think mentioned before, most Super 8 cameras have no important components on the top of them where the 200ft cartridge would be sticking out. So grab your Saw-Zaws and modify your Super 8 camera today!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whoah... I assuming this is a joke, but I've never been able to pickup sarcasm well.
A lot of cameras that only use two batteries have the batteries stored above the film slot. Like my Canon 1014E and my Minolta 40XL. And though there may not be circuit boards above cartridge, there are still probably some levers for the zoom.
And maybe this is just me, but I don't think there is such a juge demand because as Crimsonson said, there are only a handful of cameras that can use 200ft rolls, and also the point of super8 is that you have daylight-loading cartridges. Very rarely will anyone need a shot that lasts over 2.5 minutes and it isn't that hard to open the camera and pop another roll in. So I think I'll stay with my 50 ft rolls and Nizo 4080 before going to the trouble of paying more per foot for a 200 foot roll and buying a new camera or sawing apart my current one.
------------------
-
December 20th, 2001, 08:44 PM
#16
Supa-eight
Guest
Ok, granted that some cameras do have important pieces above the cartridge loading area. I owned the 1014 myself and theres no way you could do the mod on this model. I myself would also never chop the top of my camera. I would however do it on a cheaper model camera. I already have a Nizo 6080 so I have no worries. But I assure you, if the 200ft film option came about again, and especially with SOUND FILM, many out there would seek these 200ft models and maybe even create a convertible out of their cameras.
------------------
-
December 21st, 2001, 12:24 AM
#17
Konton
Guest
Pedro made me a nice simplistic diagram of how he thought an economical 200' reloadable magazine might work. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the matter so I'll post the diagram when I'm way from my horrid internet connection I have at work.
The reason I thought an inexpensive reloadable 200' cartridge/magazine would be worth the trouble to design and see manufactured is for these reasons.
1) There are times when being able to shoot for 10 minutes at a time is useful. Look at how long some of the shots in UNBREAKABLE lasted. I admit if you are shooting a commerical or like the way a Michael Bay film changes shots every 5 seconds then I'm sure you don't need this. But I like options.
2) I really believe that if you make a way to use super 8mm film without the cartridge, it will open the gauge up to more film options. Super 8 Sound custom cuts film stock down to Super 8mm for anyone. They already did that custom job with the Fuji stock. Why not other reveral film? How about using Double Super 8mm film that's been pre-slit like Fomapan or Kodachrom 25 (if you can find some).
3) If more reversal guages become avaliable to use with a 200' reloadable cartridge, then what's stopping a place like Super8 Sound from also pre-sound stripping the film? Or from you doing it yourself? And if the 200' reloadable cartridge was made for single-sound, then all of a sudden doing single-sound super 8mm films becomes an option again.
As you can see, I like options. And that's why I'd like to see this happen.
------------------
Konton the Grey
-
December 21st, 2001, 01:35 AM
#18
Supa-eight
Guest
Yeah striping the unexposd film myself, that's good. I was thinking about this before. If I were to purchase some night vision goggles. I could only picture myself inside my editing room with the lights out, night vision goggles on, and a Bolex sound striper at work. My roomates already think I'm a film nut, who knows what they'd think if they could see such an image. Ha!
Well I'm up for it, I'm going to send you that empty 200ft cartridge once we finalize this Beaulieu R16 deal.
------------------
-
December 21st, 2001, 02:13 AM
#19
Supa-eight
Guest
Justin, pardon my last reply. I got you confused with Mikael Sundstr?m who is also working on developing the 200ft cart modification/creation. You should go to the Shooting 8mm forum and speak with him over email (which I am searching for now) and you guys can colaborate on ideas.
------------------
-
December 21st, 2001, 02:24 AM
#20
Konton
Guest
Can you give me a link to the thread you are referring to on the other message board? Hey, does anyone know what 16mm camera this magazine belongs to? http://members.aol.com/camron8888/images/out7.jpg
The design is kind of what I imagine when I think of a Super 8mm 200' reloadable cartridge.
------------------
Konton the Grey
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks